The circulation of blood from heart to other organs takes place by means of blood vessels called arteries. When blood travels through arteries, it exerts certain pressure on artery walls. The normal blood pressure is around 120/80 mm (millimeters of mercury). When there is an elevation in pressure, it is called high blood pressure or hypertension in medical terminology.
Pre-hypertension readings are around 139/89 mm. BP, beyond 140/90 mm is considered as really high BP. It needs stern timely management, or else it can cause serious damage to heart leading to cardiovascular disorders, heart failure, peripheral artery disease, hardening of artery walls or arteriosclerosis. Consistent high blood pressure may also cause renal failures, brain damage and various other complications.
BP is measured with the help of a pressure cuff, and the upper number or systolic pressure is the pressure of blood on arteries when heart contracts and pumps blood forward in to arteries. The lower number or diastolic pressure indicates the pressure of blood on arteries, when heart relaxes after contraction.
4. Tobacco intake
5. Alcohol abuse
7. High salt intake
8. Lack of exercise
Symptoms of High BP
3. Nausea and vomiting
4. Restlessness and irritation
6. Nose bleeding
8. Shortness of breath
9. Chest pain
Herbal Remedies to Lower High BP
1. Garlic is a major blood pressure herb. The sulphides in garlic bring down elevated pressure. One should consume 2-3 cloves of garlic daily.
2. Hawthorn is a beneficial herb for boosting heart function. It dilates arteries and allows easy coronary blood flow, thereby lowering BP.
3. Withania somnifera or ashwagandha is also an important BP lowering herb.
4. Ginger, another important herb lowers BP by relaxing muscles around blood vessels, toning up blood circulation and reducing cholesterol.
5. Red clover, an herb is known for its blood thinning properties. Thus it lowers blood pressure by allowing smooth flow of blood through arteries.
6. Kelp, a seaweed also lowers BP due to its capacity to thin the blood
7. Cinnamon, a healing herb rich in antioxidants, brings down LDL Cholesterol levels, makes body responsive to insulin and reduces BP.
8. Turmeric is also an effective herb. It contains curcumin, an antioxidant that improves blood circulation and strengthens blood vessels.
9. Olive leaf extracts are useful for checking irregular heart beats and lowering BP.
10. Gingko biloba, another herb, helps in expanding arteries, improving blood flow and supply of blood to the brain.
11. Stresx herbal supplement is another useful natural remedy for lowering high blood pressure and maintaining healthy BP.