Back a few months ago, my husband was taking his blood pressure and so I decided to also take mine. Normally I rarely monitor my blood pressure and just assumed it would probably be OK but boy was I wrong. After a visit to the doctor, he confirmed what I did not want to hear and that was that my blood pressure was extremely high.
After a trip to the emergency room since the doctor could not get my blood pressure down in his office, it was then that I realized just how dangerous this all was to my health. The doctor in the emergency room finally got my blood pressure down a little and then sent me home. Another visit to the doctor the next day and I was then put on regimen of three different types of prescriptions. But I wasn’t happy at all with taking prescriptions so I set out to find information on how to have my High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally.
According to the information that I gathered, it said that high blood pressure was known as the “silent killer” because people with this condition can go years without realizing that they have it. This was obviously very true for me because I did not even have a clue that my blood pressure was high or how long it had been that way. The only way to really know that your blood pressure is high would be to monitor it at home as well as have it checked often by your doctor.
My first quest was to find any information that I would show me how to have my high blood pressure lowered naturally. According to the research that I found, taking the necessary steps to control high blood pressure includes a healthy diet, increased physical activity as well as a lifestyle change.
1. My first step to lower my blood pressure naturally was to start eating a healthy diet. All my life, I had basically lived on junk food such as hamburgers and french fries not thinking at all about how harmful this could be to my health. According to everything I read, the key to preventing high blood pressure is moderation and a healthy lifestyle.
I found out that more adults are overweight now than when their grandparents were young. Modern conveniences seemed to add to the problem rather than to prevent it. And since I worked outside of the home, it really was more convenient to eat out most of the time rather than go home and cook a healthy meal.
The first thing I needed to do was stop eating out and start cooking healthy meals for my family. According to the statistics, sixty-five percent of American adults are overweight or obese. If you are 30 percent above your normal weight, then you also may be at a high risk to develop high blood pressure. Start now by taking the necessary steps to have your High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally.
You can do this by my making changes to your diet. Another pointer that I found was that I needed to cut my salt intake back to 1.5 grams a day. I usually salted everything and soon realized that cutting back on my salt intake was one of the best things I could do in order to have my high blood pressure lowered naturally. My doctor told me that I needed to add potassium to my diet by eating 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I also found out that I needed to eat more whole grains plus eat more poultry, fish, and nuts. One of the places that I could cut back on my salt intake was to avoid canned foods, cold cuts, red meat, sugary beverages, and sweets. Another important addition to my diet was to choose low fat dairy products.
2. The second thing I needed to do to have my High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally was to increase my physical activity. I was sixty pounds over weight so another very important thing that I needed to do was to lose the weight. I started out by doing light aerobic exercise 20 to 45 minutes 4 to 5 times a week, which would help to reduce my body fat. With my busy schedule, getting the exercise that I need seemed impossible though.
My goal then was to try walking after dinner or the first thing in the morning. If you do not have time to commit to a regular schedule, then they suggest that you can always increase your physical activity by parking your car a good distance away and walk to your destination. I also found out that taking a flight of stairs instead of the elevator was another way that I could add physical activity into my work day. It is very important to get moving and start now by taking the necessary steps to have your High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally.
3. The third thing that I needed to have my High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally was to change my lifestyle. According to the information that I found, it said that your lifestyle could be killing you. I don’t know about you but I get so used to living a certain way that change can sometimes be very difficult for me. However, your lifestyle can dramatically increase your chance of having high blood pressure so take the time to change your bad habits one by one. Do you have any of these bad habits?
– One of the things that you could do is to drink alcoholic beverages in moderation. A moderate amount is one drink for women and two drinks for men.
– Avoid Tobacco. Smoking, even second-hand smoke, is not good for anyone but especially those with high blood pressure. Ask your doctor for help. Inquire about nicotine gum or patches. According to the statistics, it said that if you smoke then your chance of suffering a heart attack is 2 to 6 times more likely.
– Avoid Coffee. Some of the information that I found indicated that some unknown ingredient or ingredients in coffee is what is responsible for high blood pressure and not caffeine. According to this research, it shows that even people who drink decaffeinated coffee display these effects. While this might seem like good news, it is best to avoid it if at all possible.
Maybe high blood pressure is the “silent killer” just as all the statistics indicated. Don’t just assume that your blood pressure is OK as I did but have your blood pressure checked regularly. And if you do have high blood pressure then make the necessary changes in your lifestyle to live a long healthy life! Start off by doing whatever you can to have your High Blood Pressure Lowered Naturally.